Jharkhand Scraps JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams After Student Stir

Jharkhand Scraps JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams After Student Stir

Ranchi, August 17, 2026: The Jharkhand government has taken a major decision in the ongoing recruitment-exam controversy, cancelling the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission Combined Graduate Level (JSSC-CGL) examination and all examinations conducted on behalf of TSR Data Processing Limited (TDPL). The announcement came after 24 days of protests by students and job aspirants demanding action over alleged irregularities in the state’s recruitment system.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren announced the decision after a Cabinet meeting on Monday. He said the government had decided to cancel the JSSC-CGL examination and conduct a comprehensive inquiry into errors and alleged irregularities in examinations dating back to 2014.

The move represents a significant shift in the government's response to the student agitation. For weeks, protesters had demanded cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination, cancellation of examinations conducted by TDPL and an independent investigation into alleged recruitment irregularities.

What the students were demanding

The JPSC-JSSC Reform Manch and other student groups had been protesting in Ranchi over alleged irregularities in examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Public Service Commission (JPSC) and JSSC.

The JSSC-CGL examination became one of the central points of the agitation. Protesters argued that concerns surrounding the recruitment process had undermined the credibility of the examination and demanded that it be cancelled rather than allowing the existing recruitment process to continue.

They also demanded that examinations conducted through TDPL be cancelled and investigated. Earlier in the agitation, student leaders had specifically called for all examinations conducted by the agency to be brought under scrutiny.

Protest continued despite earlier government concessions

The government's latest decision follows several rounds of discussions with protesting students. Earlier, authorities had agreed to cancel the 14th JPSC Preliminary Examination and two backlog examinations.

The government had also proposed investigations into alleged irregularities and measures to strengthen the examination system. However, students continued their agitation because the JSSC-CGL cancellation and their demand for a CBI investigation remained unresolved.

The protest entered its 24th day on Monday. Six protesters were reported to be continuing a hunger strike, highlighting the intensity of the agitation.

CID and broader examination probe

The government has also widened the scope of scrutiny. Soren said the CID and SIT were investigating alleged irregularities and that several people connected with JPSC recruitment had been arrested.

The Chief Minister said the CID had been directed to examine JPSC examinations conducted from 2014 onward. He indicated that investigators had uncovered facts suggesting the possibility of a wider network involving multiple companies that had worked on examination-related activities in the state.

The government has also discussed judicial oversight of the investigation and involvement of other agencies in examining alleged financial irregularities.

Rahul Gandhi backs protesting students

The developments came on the same day Congress leader Rahul Gandhi wrote to Chief Minister Hemant Soren, urging him to personally meet representatives of the protesting students.

Gandhi said the students' concerns were legitimate and stressed the importance of peaceful protest. His intervention was notable because Congress is part of the ruling coalition in Jharkhand.

The BJP, meanwhile, has also backed the demand for a CBI probe and criticised the state government's handling of the protests. Opposition leaders had accused the government of delaying meaningful discussions with the students.

What happens next?

Cancelling the JSSC-CGL and TDPL-linked examinations is a major concession to the protesters, but it may not immediately end the agitation.

The students had been demanding not only cancellation of disputed examinations but also an independent investigation into alleged irregularities. The government has relied on the CID and other investigative mechanisms, while sections of the protest movement have continued to insist on a CBI inquiry.

The government’s decision therefore addresses one of the most important demands of the protesters while leaving the question of the investigation's final scope and agency at the centre of the dispute.

For thousands of candidates preparing for government jobs, the cancellation could mean another examination process and a fresh wait for recruitment. At the same time, the government faces pressure to ensure that any re-examination is conducted transparently and without the controversies that triggered the current movement.

The immediate challenge for Jharkhand authorities will be to translate the Cabinet's announcement into a credible, transparent recruitment process while convincing the protesting students that the wider allegations will be investigated fairly.

Also Read: JNU Recruitment Row: VC Denies Irregularities, Hits Back

Srimanta Pradhan

Echo & Alexa,Fire TV Stick,Kindle E-Readers & eBooks,Amazon Prime Video,Amazon Prime Music,Mobiles, Computers,TV, Appliances, Electronics,Men's Fashion,Women's Fashion,Home, Kitchen, Pets,Beauty, Health, Grocery,Sports, Fitness, Bags, Luggage,Toys, Baby Products, Kids' Fashion,Car,

Post a Comment (0)
Previous Post Next Post

Responsive Ads

Responsive Ads